So is 7.4.2 talking about a manifestation to item relationship (i.e., FRBR
5.3.5)? "A manifestation-to-item relationship indicates that a given
manifestation is the result of reproducing a particular item. The
reproduction relationship will be stated at this level when it is useful to
indicate the specific item used, as opposed to stating the relationship at
the more general level of manifestation-to-manifestation."

If that's the case, maybe the scope statement should say something like "An
equivalent item is a specific item that was reproduced (e.g. photographed,
digitized) to make the manifestation being described." In this case, I
guess it would be a one-way relationship.

Renette