-----Original Message-----
Irvin Flack wrote:

So the first step for RDA should be to decide whether the value (in the
abstract sense of the DCAM Resource Model) for each property is a
literal or a non-literal. Then we can say whether the value should be
represented by a literal surrogate (if a literal value) or a non-literal
surrogate (if a non-literal value) in a description. And so on for each
of the properties in RDA.
--------------------------

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but I would disagree with this.
RDA needs to be platform independent.  The issue of literal vs.
non-literal only has meaning in an electronic environment.  Karen had it
right in her blog posting.  To paraphrase, RDA should treat every value
as a literal, but define data elements in such a way that they are
capable of being treated as non-literal, (even if the feasibility of
some values being treated as a non-literal is small, e.g. title proper).

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.
Schenectady NY 12308