I think that I understand what Bob Maxwell is saying, and I agree with him
that 4.1 and 4.2 could be construed to mean that only manifestation-level
records should be made.  A statement to the effect that other levels of
the FRBR hierarchy should or could be represented in catalogs would be a
good idea.
The problem is that the ICP have to look backwards as well as forwards
because some countries and probably many libraries will not be able to
make use of the World Wide Web and developments in computer software that
the Anglo-American cataloging community can.
The ICP should also refrain from committing itself to particular
technological solutions, just as the Paris Principles tried to do. After
all, the relational database is probably not the last word in computer
systems.  Still, since the ICP are so clearly based on FRBR principles,
some bow to the entity-relationship model's impact on the form of catalogs
would be a good idea.
I think that Jonathan Rochkind made a better reply to Bob's point about
authority records than I could.
I am learning a great deal from the comments of others.  Thanks.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, General Cataloging Unit &