-----Original Message-----
Karen Coyle wrote:

Actually my big concern is that the entity Person may make sense as a
subject but we don't have persons as creators, only personal names. That
name may be a pseudonym used by two actual human beings, or there could
be many names associated with one person. So the Person entity doesn't
seem to fit well into our cataloging world view in the creator/agent
role.
-------------------------
[Myers]: I will confess I am having difficulty understanding Karen's
concerns.  Bibliographically, we have historically had only headings and
cross references in our catalogs, which were then supported by authority
files in card or MARC format.  The Person has only existed in the
bibliographic sense and context, whether creating under an identity that
matched their personal identity or under a pseudonymous or conjoined
identity.  The entity structure of FRBR-FRAD and RDA in a scenario 1
implementation takes this to a new level of generalization and
integration but doesn't seem to commit great violence to that
"cataloging world view".

To my thinking, each manifestation will have a statement of
responsibility as an attribute, recorded in the manifestation entity
record.  Based on that attribute, the manifestation entity record will
link to the corresponding personal (corporate, conference) entity
record(s).  Those Group 2 entity records will record as their attributes
the various relevant data elements.  Depending on the implementation
scenario, headings will be hard coded in the Group 2 entity record or
machine generated from those elements (that is, we will record the
strings formerly known as headings into the entity record or the machine
will construct them on-the-fly when creating displays).

Does this illuminate the situation, represent erroneous thinking, or
lack applicability to the discussion?

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.