>Am 21 Jul 2008 um 11:37 hat Laurence S. Creider geschrieben:
> scroll to codex was lost.  That will not be in our lifetimes, however.

To which Armin Stephan replied:
>Really??? I don't know ...

I don't know either, but given that I've been hearing about the coming
"paperless" office and world being just around the corner since at least the
mid-1970s (one of the few benefits of advanced age...), I doubt that the
cultural state of paperlessness is imminent. Although you couldn't tell it by
most threads on Autocat or the RDA list, there are still libraries that collect
paper-based materials whether books or serials, and for that matter there are
still libraries that use card catalogs, and no amount of yearning for tomorrow
today or fulminating about the glorious digital future will change that
overnight. Sure it might happen, but I highly doubt it will be in my lifetime
(not really saying much there considering my age), or for that matter, Armin
Stephan's life either. Vinyl sound recordings are supposed to be dead, too, yet
audiophile recordings on vinyl are still being created--dare I say because of
perceived shortcomings in digital sound reproduction?

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

E-mail AUTOCAT listowners:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Search AUTOCAT archives:  http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/autocat.html
Selected AUTOCAT commands: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/options.html
  By posting messages to AUTOCAT, the author does not cede copyright