This does remind me of a quote by Umberto Eco (I think) somewhere, where he
was talking about the end of paper. He said that if you walk into any
office, you can see clearly that it is not the end of paper since you see
pieces of it flying everywhere, but it does seem to be the end of binding...

To be fair, I think a lot of this comes from people who don't like to read
off of a computer screen (myself included!) and print things off so that
they can be read more comfortably. A genuine ebook reader does not seem to
be that far away. I've heard good things, along with bad things, about the
Kindel. Supposedly the Readius with the flexible screen that you can carry
around in your pocket will be available this fall.
http://www.polymervision.com/ Still expensive, but so were the first ipods.
And I'm sure things will improve tremendously once there is a market.

But being in Rome, where I am surrounded by the remains of a fabulous
civilization where practically everything was lost (take a look at the Loeb
Classical Library sometime. That is just about everything that survived from
those days, and it is pitifully small), and I think about our current
situation. In some ways, digital information is more robust than anything we
have ever worked with because it can be copied flawlessly millions of times;
it can be sent around the world in a split-second; it can be reformatted
easily e.g. TIFF to PDF to JPEG or whatever (attended by well-known
problems, but still much easier than reformatting from papyrus scroll to
parchment).

But digital is a highly delicate format in other ways. When I look at the
ruins of the Palatine or the Forum, it can be frightening when you realize
what could be lost in this relatively new format.

James Weinheimer  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 327