On this subject (evidence for claims made in very important reports by very
important and influential people) I have to say that it is very difficult to
read statements in these reports/articles (Karen Calhoun's report and Deanna
Marcum's article on the future of cataloging in LRTS come immediately to mind)
that make claims about users and do not cite a single study (evidence for their
claims) to back up these claims.

One of the things that I discuss with my students is that every one of us
probably has a prototypical "user" in mind when we talk about "users."  I
suspect that this is one of the things that make us, as a community, have
disagreements (I have no evidence for this statement, of course). Then, when we
want to justify some action, we often say that "users" do this and "users" do
that, having our own picture in our own head of the "users" we are talking
about.

It is convenient to make these claims without citing evidence because
frequently there is no evidence to support them. We should notice this
propensity when we speak and try to correct ourselves when it is a public
context (in the heat of the moment, I have some sympathy), but there is no
excuse for it in written reports, articles, or columns.

As a community, we should (even if we agree with the claims) always demand
evidence for statements about "users" (whoever they are).  When we review
articles for publication, we should carefully review statements that make
claims about users and make sure that there is research evidence cited to back
them up.  Also, we need to check the citations, because now someone could, for
example, cite the Karen Calhoun report as evidence for user behavior when, in
fact, some of the statements made there about users have no research evidence
backing them up - or, if they do, the research is not cited in a footnote
(citations to research in a bibliography are *not* enough - each claim made
about users (and most everything else) should be footnoted - *with* page
numbers).

Allyson

Allyson Carlyle
Associate Professor and Chair, Ph.D. Program
Information School
MGH Suite 370
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-2840