Consolidated ISBD

http://www.ifla.org/files/cataloguing/isbd/isbd_wwr_20100510_clean.pdf

The new draft of the consolidated ISBD is a joy to read.  The clarity
of the writing, the relevance of the examples in a variety of
languages and scripts*, and the mostly wise decisions are to be
admired.  Having all genres** in a consolidated ISBD is cataloguer
friendly.  All these features make the consolidated ISBD a prime
candidate for the use of libraries as a guide to creating
bibliographic records, both those who find RDA too expensive, and
those who find the RDA directions less than clear.

The continuation of Latin abbreviations is good for a multilingual
database serving multilingual clients as is the case for both SLC and
WorldCat.  The use of "vol." or "vols." seems a good compromise
between AACR2's "v." and RDA's "volume" or "volumes".

In particular:

60: The explanation of the difficulty to incorporating FRBR into ISBD
is very well stated.

210: The renumbering of introductory material from "0" to "A" to make
way for the new Area O is good.

300: The statement of the distinction between online and direct access
electronic resources is succinct and comprehensible, as is so much of
the text.

550, 560, A.3.2, etc.:  The continuation of stating that ". --"
precedes an area is a mistake.  In all systems of which I am aware,
the point *ends* an area, and the hyphens are machine supplied.  This
wording needs updating here and subsequently in the draft.

It is good that the SMD is required ("M").  Perhaps this can end the
foolishness of omitting collation for remote electronic resources.

590 A.3.2.7:  Perhaps rewording the punctuation provisions would allow
not having the silly looking double punctuation of "3rd ed.."
Punctuation is not in fact used for machine manipulation of data;
MARC or html coding serves that purpose.  This provision is seriously
outdated.

610 A.3.2.8:  Given the deconstruction of the ISBD in many OPAC
displays, the separate square bracketing of parts of the imprint when
supplied from outside the resource is good.

910 A.8.; It is good for the patron that "[sic]" and "[i.e. ...] are
still allowed at the point of error.  For searching and machine
matching, we find ignoring bracketed information a simple programming
matter.

1080 0.3:  The substitution of "electronic" for RDA's "computer" as a
media type is excellent.  Increasing electronic resources are used on
devices other than computers.

1140:  I find no example of the punctuation for an alternate title.  I
hope that ISBD will exclude alternate title from title proper, as did
an early draft of RDA.

2106: Motion picture non cast credits would be better combined in area
7, as opposed to being divided between areas 1 and 7.

3310: 3.3: Should numbering precede imprint and collation?  I think
ISBD is our best guide to display as well as to record creation.
Later placement seems better to me.

3550, 3690 4.1.1, 4.4.9:  It would be far simpler and internationally
useful to have jurisdiction always transcribed or supplied, as opposed
to only when it is felt needed.  A city known in the country of
cataloguing might be less known a a country deriving the description.
Consideration might be given to allowing the use of abbreviations, and
forbidding the use of postal codes (since postal codes are not unique;
WA may be Western Australia or Washington State; CA my be Canada or
California).

4310 4.3.8: It is good to see that forms such as [196-?] are still
suggested.  It is a language neutral, easily understood, way to give
an estimated dated of publication.

Area 5:  Shouldn't this area be called "Nature and extent of resource"
rather than "Physical description ..."?  The SMD is always needed, but
it may not indicate a *physical* resource.

It would be good to have examples of remote electronic resource SMDs,
e.g., "website", "electronic text", "streaming video", "computer
program".

*It was particularly nice to see the hankul examples, having helped
establish Korea's first library school.

**It was also good to see some of the ideas we originated in the ISBD
for nonbook materials working group carried forward.