From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:rd...@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Miksa, Shawne
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:38 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Time and effort

Jim unbelievable wrote: "But it must be accepted that catalogers are *most
definitely NOT* the people to know what people need from information. That
can only come from reference librarians and the public, the researchers,
scholars, and students, themselves."

With all due respect---what planet are you on, Jim? Come back to this one.
Where do you get this stuff? Let me welcome you to the 21st century where
catalogers are user-centric, born and bred. We start from the point of the
user--what are their needs, how do we organize it to help them meet those
needs; how do the choices we make as organizers affect their ability to
find, identify, select, obtain, navigate.....and so on. Let's call it
functionality, shall we?

Only a reference librarian, and not a cataloging librarian, can know what
people need from information?  Bulldada. If there is an instance of this
then it occurs when a cataloger gets so wrapped up in the 'brilliance' of
their own cataloging skills that they can't see the forest for the trees.

Done. Outta here. Buh-bye.

Shawne D. Miksa, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Library and Information Sciences
College of Information
University of North Texas
email: shawne.mi...@unt.edu
http://courses.unt.edu/smiksa/index.htm