Hi Jim

It's these statements which I find most contentious, and certainly don't
reflect my experience - switching to keyword searches as default has either
failed to register in statistics of use as especially popular (i.e. presumably
people switched to title browse searches, despite the default), or resulted in
outrage from the users upon introduction in another institution.

People like Google searches, but only when they work well. Google itself often
does work well, but many "google-like" databases and search engines don't
neccesarily cut the mustard so well. Furthermore, there is a difference between
seatching for "whatever there is" and looking for something in particular: Once
it's known what is actually desired, browse searches are inevitably preferable,
and often (justifiably) preferred. Google works better than most keyword based
search engines on defaulting to a browse like specifity when that is relevant,
but even there, you can lose even exact hits in a slew of less relevant hits
very easily. And numerous library meta-search engines struggle to match it in
their efficiency, unfortunately.

But the "Google effect", myth or no myth, continues to be used as an excuse to,
well, not bother, at the end of the day, based on the dream that keyword is
king - whereas a better way of looking at it would probably be it's a
particularly popular fruit, even if people get sick of all the pips.... But
still end up buying because it's the only one that's sold in all the shops, or
even because they don't know there are so many other fruits......

Cheers!

Martin Kelleher
Electronic Resources/Bibliographic Services Librarian
University of Liverpool