I believe the user tasks that we are trying to support are to_/ i)/ _describe the extent of the item to be cataloged in one sub-field of a field, e.g. pages, volumes, cassettes, total playing time, etc.; and _/ii)/_ differentiate multiple part and serials items from monograph item, sound recording, videodiscs, music score, etc. in a catalog under the constraint of number of fields to be displayed by the local catalog database, and system compatibility requirements, where items of multiple arrays have been served through a single "flat" and one-size-fit-all database, which has been changed from mainframe, client-server systems, multitier architecture systems with Z39.50 and Web as front end to Web as Infrastructure over the years.

In addition to the changes of system architecture serving the creation, search and retrieval of bibs in a catalog database, all the subfields of a field in a bib record have to survive the following:/_
_/

  1. changes of the cataloging rules e.g. ALA rules, AACR1, AACR2,
     various interim guidelines, etc.
  2. changes of encoding schemes, USMARC, etc. and cross walks;
  3. field indexing and display battles that we are all familiar with,
     e.g. which field goes into brief vs. long display and which field
     is used for keyword search, fielded search and hot-linked search
     keys in simple, advanced, federated, mobile-search, and other
     forth-coming modes, e.g. social and semantic modes;
  4. variations of cataloging practice that catalogers have to work
     around - _/4.1) /_with local ILS systems, _/4.2)/_ in compliance
     with resource sharing agreement with bibliographic utilities,
     consortium, and distributed multiple campus networking
     environment, /_4.3)_/ pressure to produce, e.g. quota, and_/
     //4.4)/_ little admin support.

What is more, such subfields have also to survive the limited amount of access permission of the systems given to professional catalogers for record creation, database cleanup, and data quality control using quantitative measures; and availability of good copies/examples to follow.

Most catalogers have to make decisions in the dark for compatibility issues and display limits at subfield, field, and bib level within a bib, and in resource sharing environment within the constraint of their local system implementation, particularly when standards are behind the needs to provide access for the items to be cataloged.

In the context of compatibility requirements and constraints as what I've described above, the approach for designating 300 $a for items with non-transmedia format can be illustrated as the following:

11 v. :$bill. ;$c24 cm
32 p. :$bcol. ill. ;$c26 cm.
1 sound disc (46 min.) :$banalog, 33 1/3 rpm, stereo. ;$c12 in.
11 sound discs (13 hr., 3 min.) :$bdigital ;$c4 3/4 in.
1 videodisc (60 min.) :$bsd., col. ;$c4 3/4 in.
1 videocassette (ca. 124 min.) :$bsd., col. with b&w sequences ;$c1/2 in.
1 score (79 p.)$c26 cm.
1 online resource (1 map) :$bcol. +$b1 pamphlet (18 p.).

It gets complicated when cataloged items are in transmedia format. The extent of the item to be cataloged does not change whether the form of items is in:

  1. tangible form 008/22 q - "Direct electronic" or
  2. intangible form 008/22 o - "online" or
  3. other formats such as 008/22 b - "Microfiche,"  008/22 # -Blank,
     e.g. print, etc.

In such case, the 300 field is left blank or something like "XML encoded text" is in its place. The last mile that we created for the user to figure out the extent of the item is to check into 534 field or 362 field if the field gets displayed in the OPACs by the cataloging agency and systems implementation teams. An example for the item might be:

534 ##$pTranscribed from:$tBeyond illustration : 2d and 3d
       digital technologies as tools for discovery in archaeology
       / edited by Bernard Frischer, Anastasia Dakouri-Hild.
       $cOxford : Archaeopress, 2008.$exxiv, 168 p. : ill. (some
       col.), maps (some col.) ; 30 cm.$z9781407302928
       $z1407302922

How realistic is it for a medium-size library with a collection of 1 million items and staff of less than five to add such subfields in the field within each bib bundled inside a package of hundreds or thousands of bibs to be processed manually due to the fact that no access granted to catalogers for batch processing tools ranging from editors, loaders, data recovery utility, report writer, to analytical measures for data quality control? It's another story as far as how catalogers have creatively worked around the limits of these tools.

It seems redundant when 300 $av. and 362 $a, e.g. Began with vol. for 1978, both presented in a bib. When we have to struggle with number of fields to be displayed, we have to weigh our decisions based on:

  1. collection size;
  2. trends of top-searches and subsequent users' behavior for online
     vs. print, multimedia vs. transmedia, etc. mixed in the
     collections that have been served within the constraint of a
     single database for one-size fit all contents, media, and carriers.

Not all local catalogs could display the extent, numeric and chronological designation of a journal in one brief display, e.g.

300 ##$av. :$bill. ;$c28 cm.

310 ##$aAnnual

362 1#$aBegan with vol. for 1978.

The term "volumes" or "v" becomes useful when you see the forest of bib control environment, not just the single leaf. I checked into J. McRee Elrod's comment on 300 $a electronic texts ( v. : ill.) last night.

For items in transmedia format, unless 534 field is used, catalogers have to work around again as the way Mr. Elrod illustrated or use 506 field unless the ILS systems can populate 534 field based on 007/01, and other fields under the condition that full-MARC compatibility have been enforced by the cataloging agency and local system implementation over the years.

For items in non-transmedia format, new 336, 337, and 338 fields can alleviate problems to describe content type, media, and carrier, e.g. http://www.loc.gov/standards/valuelist/marcsmd.html. But the controlled terms that we've used are not in alignment with the common vocabulary used by end users. For instance, how often do we call a "movie" for a "motion picture?" Imagine that if we tell our friends, let's go for a motion picture tonight, and how they would look at us.

In summary, our strategy to implement RDA has to include the principle of "honoring tradition and embracing future in K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple and Stupid) manner." I can imagine that once LC and OCLC finalize their policy statement <http://www.oclc.org/us/en/rda/policy.htm>, ILS vendors and libraries have to come up with internal policy and procedures to work around again. Sorry about the long message!!! Like everyone else in this list, I am still pondering, exploring, learning, creating, contributing, and sharing as I go along. Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Amanda Xu