Brenndorfer, Thomas wrote:
<snip>
Throughout the RDA text, the first choice listed for identifying entities or
showing relationships is to use an identifier (such as a URI). This is followed
by an authorized access point, and then in some areas, by textual descriptions.
The reason for this is RDA's objective in supporting three scenarios: catalog
card production, MARC catalogs that rely on linked headings, and
object-oriented databases (http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/5editor2.pdf). What is
clear though is that access points are a permanent feature of the cataloging
landscape-- they will always exist and are part of all three scenarios. The
main difference is that relating entities in the future won't be dependent on
the form of access points, which is a good idea considering how often they can
change. For example, headings change with the addition of death dates, or when
authors request that elements be removed (as I discovered recently for an
author whose name was attached to many series headings and subject headings).

In addition, the arrangement of RDA into elements that support attributes and
relationships for entities is the basis of interest in the Linked Data
community. There is a W3C Incubator Group discussing such issues now, and RDA
is the game in town in support of these efforts
(http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/). In addition to promoting the use of
identifiers for specific entities, all RDA elements (and a lot of controlled
vocabulary) have registered URIs (http://metadataregistry.org/schema/list.html).

100 $q or Fuller Form of Name is a registered element
http://RDVocab.info/ElementsGr2/fullerFormOfNamePerson
</snip>

Thanks for pointing this out, but it still doesn't address the point I was
trying to make: "we should not pretend to ourselves that changing Elvis
Presley's or Richard Wagner's authorized form, [or] in other words, changing
one *textual string* into any other *textual string*, is any kind of a change
at all. This is the sort of "change" that allows others to make fun of us and
that gives cataloging and catalogers a bad name.... can anyone maintain with a
straight face that the form "Presley, Elvis (Elvis Aron), 1935-1977" instead of
"Presley, Elvis, 1935-1977" will make any kind of substantial and meaningful
difference for our patrons"

If the purpose of RDA is to utilize URIs (which at the current rate may happen
by the year 2050 if we are lucky), what is the purpose of going through the
*huge task* of changing one textual string to another textual string? This
makes absolutely no difference to our users (unless somebody out there can
point to some fairly convincing research), while making an incredible amount of
completely useless work for catalogers, when we could be doing work that is
more productive. This is an example of what I have been mentioning of changes
for "theoretical purposes" instead of "practical purposes". Libraries and
catalogs are facing some of the most serious challenges they have faced in a
long, long time, and none of these challenges have anything to do with the
*text of a heading* or in problems of *cataloging rules*. In other regards,
such as how people are able to find those headings; what happens after they do
find a heading, and so on, innovating in these areas would be the types of
changes that could matter to our users, but yet we concentrate on the forms
themselves.

Even if we were to change the forms, we should aim in the directions that our
users would like. I think we have some excellent evidence for their preferences
in the disambiguation pages of Wikipedia--built by the users themselves, e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Johnson or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_%28disambiguation%29 or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_%28disambiguation%29, where the distinguishing
factor isn't so reliant on dates, but on descriptive terms, e.g. for war:
Write after read, a data hazard
WAR (Sun file format) (Web application ARchive), a file format used to package
Java applications
KDE WAR (file format) (Web ARchive), a file format for storing a web page
early versions of Decwar, a pioneering multi-user computer game

I also prefer these types of forms, but they are not the directions RDA is
leading us.

I think it's time (and has been for quite awhile) for libraries and the
catalogs to make some kind of big splash; to do something that will make people
(i.e. our users) sit up and take notice. We have to do something that will make
a difference to them. Many other organizations out there are focusing on making
these big splashes right now, as we discuss. RDA has a few distant,
theoretical, vague goals that are disputed in themselves, but we still should
not delude ourselves that any of the changes they posit will make any
difference to our users. If, by some miracle, URIs were actually implemented in
our records within a mere 10 years or so (which would be the equivalent of
light speed), I am sure that our users will have moved beyond them. We cannot
continually be in the process of playing catch up and forever being behind.

James L. Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
Rome, Italy
First Thus: http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/