Bernhard Eversberg wrote:
<snip>
Compromise: Let machines do the work, ok, but think hard where and
in what way to involve them. What I was suggesting is not really
a different approach: Don't store http://www.something.xyz/abc/IdNumber
but just  IdNumber  and have presentation/service software add
the rest according to current fashion.
</snip>

Yes. In my own opinion, implementing linked data does not necessarily mean
redoing everything in your database to create new links, along the lines of
adding all of the LCSH numbers to our records (blah!). That would be an
incredible amount of work, and would ensure that all of that work would relate
only to the library community, since nobody else will ever change to our LCSH
numbers.

I see linked data rather as taking the *data you already have* and repurposing
it to interoperate in innovative ways with other resources. I think there is
room for a lot of creativity along these lines. The final products may be quite
surprising.

I think we all agree here....

James Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 258