>The argument is vociferously made that spelling out "edition" instead of
>writing "ed."  (saving 4 characters) is extra time that catalogers can't afford

Or better yet, spelling out Minnesota instead of Minn. repeated as many times
as I have occasion to do original cataloging on items published in Minnesota,
which in our case is quite a few--easily hundreds over a year. Not to mention
spelling out "pages," "illustrations," and any number of bits that show up in
most if not all records. It adds up.

>at the same time as many of the same people advocate always adding one-three
>sentence notes in addition to coded materials, for somewhat unclear user
>benefit.

An example would be nice, but my conscience is clear on this one. I don't
advocate adding anything that doesn't absolutely need to be there and would
welcome the day when coding in the machine readable portion of the record would
spawn whatever text were needed. Besides, end-users tend to want more grist for
keyword searching.

>something far more expensive and less powerful than it could be if we cared
>about creating clean data for machine processing

And if it works for humanoids, too, so much  the better? Maybe this is the crux
of the larger question.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.