So perhaps another Discussion Paper for MARC is in order, since the lack of
granularity in MARC means that the current MARC codes can't at this point
specify (without a makeshift supplied relationship designator) the choice of
the RDA 21.3 element "Publisher" as being the indication of the relationship to
the manifestation.

That there are several publisher-related elements does lead to some interesting
possibilities:

2.8.4 Publisher's Name (transcribed) - sub-element of Publication Statement
2.20.7 Note on publication statement
21.3 Publisher (which can be recorded using the conventions of identifiers or
authorized access points - RDA 18.4)

Because RDA is more specific about elements than AACR2 or MARC, and because the
elements are grouped by their association to a particular entity
(manifestation) it would make sense to see these all together in some future
cataloging tool. Transcribed names, notes, authorized access points and
identifiers could be linked more strongly than they are now. Each piece serves
a particular user task (specifically Identify in RDA chapter 2 and Find in RDA
chapter 21), but it would make sense to see these co-ordinated better.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library