I would say that:

- Abbreviations are wellcome if they are universally accepted i.e. [id est ;)]
if they facilitate cross domain comprehension and are well documented
internationally.  There is no point in writing centimetres; But I must admit I
have some doubts; I have recently met a guy who ignored Kg is for kilogram!
Anyway, if there is an abbreviation for a word in a common dictionary that is
likely to be accepted also in catalogs;

- abbreviations belonging to the special language of just one community are
deprecated and should be avoided at all costs.

Brunella Longo