On Feb 24, 2011, at 2:15 AM, <hec...@dml.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> In contemporary bibliographic displays, the context is often
> fractured.  Therefore the meaning may be obscured.

Hear, hear.  Not only is meaning obscured, but language as well.  Which is why
a construct like

 <height>
  <value>18</value>
  <unit rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Centimetre"; />
 </height>

is much easier to deal with to bring meaning independent of context and
language.  (I just made up that snippet of markup; it may or may not follow
rules.)  If a system looks up http://dbpedia.org/resource/Centimetre it will
find labels in different languages, and can then create:

  18 centimetro       (Italian)
  18 zentimeter       (German)
  18 centymetr        (Polish)

... and even understand enough to compute:

  7 inches            (English)

Peter
--
Peter Murray         peter.mur...@lyrasis.org        tel:+1-678-235-2955

Ass't Director, Technology Services Development   http://dltj.org/about/
Lyrasis   --    Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.
The Disruptive Library Technology Jester                http://dltj.org/
Attrib-Noncomm-Share   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/