From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Deborah Tomares
Sent: Tuesday, 01 March, 2011 3:05 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: [RDA-L] Subjective Judgements in RDA 300s????

I just cataloged the book corresponding to OCLC #702491897. When I looked
at the record, the 300 read:

319 pages : |b illustrations (some coloured, all beautiful), maps ; |c 25
cm.

I've corrected the spelling of "coloured" to American usage--is there an
RDA provision I'm missing about this, or was it a typo?

But the part I can't understand is the inclusion of "all beautiful". Are we
allowed, under RDA provisions, to include value judgements about the
illustrations? Are value judgements allowed elsewhere in cataloging under
RDA? Under AACR2, we are supposed to be as objective as possible when
creating records, and not allow personal biases in subjects, etc. But this
is ridiculous. Aren't we supposed to just be transcribing in the 300 field?
Is this a rogue cataloger, or is there a provision I should be cringing
about now?

Thanks in advance for all information (and potential public drubbing of
CGU?).

Deborah Tomaras, NACO Coordinator
Librarian II
Western European Languages Team
New York Public Library
Library Services Center
31-11 Thomson Ave.
Long Island City, N.Y. 11101
(917) 229-9561
dtoma...@nypl.org

Disclaimer: Alas, my ideas are merely my own, and not indicative of New
York Public Library policy.