Nerissa:

I think what this discussion points out is a gap in how we think about who contributes to data and how it is created. In libraries we have this fantasy that catalogers are 'objective' and that's what we're trying to do when catalogers create data--provide one-size-fits-all, all-purpose objective data. The problem is that isn't necessarily what our users want, we just think that's it and go on serving it out (no matter that it's not objectivity we were aiming for, but consistency). And the issue of costs keeps coming up to justify why we can't do anything different from what we've always done.

But once you start thinking outside of the usual library silo and consider what users might *contribute* and how we might change our value system a bit so that we could accept their contributions (whether reviews, ratings, additional description, whatever), it upends our thinking a bit (which is good, IMO). To do that requires that we think of catalogers as just another contributor, in a panoply of contributors, and their viewpoint can be important or not, depending on what you want your data to do.

So all the arguments about that one record and whether it's right, wrong, silly, charming, should be fixed (or not), etc., are really not the point. We should instead be thinking about how we can figure out the bigger questions--what can we do with our data that is outside our current model of data creation and maintenance, that would accommodate what our users want to contribute? Surely, we can't come up with all the answers from a 'top-down' perspective that we have now, but it's an important question, and we should by now have stopped the endless detailed discussions that we've seen on this issue, that get us exactly nowhere.

Nerissa, I'm depending on your and your buddies to move us along on this--you're definitely on the right track.

Diane