I am not a music cataloger; I do it when it comes across my desk, but I
don't work primarily in musical materials.
That said, I was wondering what music catalogers think of RDA and the myriad
(to me, anyway) and repetitive instructions in chapter 6.

While I was reading the final product, I saw "preferred access point" just
below a paragraph that mentioned an "authorized" access point.  (What??)

Also in those instructions on music, someone has to proofread the Hebrew
examples. The transliteration does not match the sequence of the Hebrew
characters.  That should be fixed.  (When I was commenting on the drafts, I
saw the same thing for personal names in Hebrew, Moshe Dayan, for example.

For me, at least, a unform title is the entire string; it is not the title
plus the qualifiers.  This splitting off of qualifiers from what a uniform
title is became too clear to me in the opening section on musical works when
it instructs us to use Symphonies; only later on do we get the the numbers
added as qualifiers.

RDA takes the parts of description and in this case the construction of
uniform titles and separates them out as though they were of equal value,
but the the work is not identified by a preferred access point until
*all*the elements are in one string.

And since RDA is supposed to help us get on board with the Semantic Web,
could someone give me an example of a record that is already on the Semantic
Web?  Where is it?  How does one find it?

-- 
Gene Fieg
Cataloger/Serials Librarian
Claremont School of Theology
[email protected]


-- 
Gene Fieg
Cataloger/Serials Librarian
Claremont School of Theology
[email protected]

Reply via email to