On 3/9/2011 2:50 PM, Gene Fieg wrote:
RDA takes the parts of description and in this case the construction of uniform titles and separates them out as though they were of equal value, but the the work is not identified by a preferred access point until /all/ the elements are in one string.

I am _definitely_ no music cataloger.

But depends on what you mean by "the work" and "the whole string".

Mozart, Leopold, 1719-1787. Cassation, orchestra, G major. Selections; arr.

Not being an expert in classical music, I'm not even sure what "cassation" means, if it's a particular symphony or a descriptive word. What is "the work" being identified, and is "arr." really part of it? Or is the work just the particular symphony regardless of whether it's "arr." or not? How about the "Selections" part, is that identifying "the work"?

This may not be a great example, because I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about. But I think the important point here is that these uniform titles aren't exactly meant to "identify the work", they are meant to take the user to a certain point in an alphabetical listing in a card catalog or bound catalog. Which works great when you have a card catalog or bound catalog or other interface that is only alphabetical listings of headings.

But that's not where we are anymore. It's got to be grappled with. We've got to figure out what we're actually doing, semantically, beyond "creating a heading to take the user to a certain point in an alphabetical listing." I think RDA is to be commended for trying.

And since RDA is supposed to help us get on board with the Semantic Web, could someone give me an example of a record that is already on the Semantic Web? Where is it? How does one find it?

--
Gene Fieg
Cataloger/Serials Librarian
Claremont School of Theology
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>


--
Gene Fieg
Cataloger/Serials Librarian
Claremont School of Theology
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

Reply via email to