In conventional cataloging practice, and in what is suggested by FRBR/RDA as I understand it... no, it doesn't really matter. A movie version is a different work.

I think an argument could be made that a _very simple_ movie version, that is really just video of a bunch of actors sitting around a table doing a reading of the _exact_ text of the novel --- should be treated as the same work to be consistent -- If an audio-book of the exact text is considered the same work -- is it?

But I'm not sure about that, and I think that, otherwise, no, conventional practice is to consider the movie version a different work. Conventional practice, as represented by legacy cataloging and FRBR/RDA's suggestions is NOT to have catalogers considering how much the movie differs from the book, and figuring out exactly how much is "too much". [Consider again, in AACR2 -- is the main entry (not an added entry) on a film version of Pride and Prejudice _ever_ Jane Austen? If it sometimes is, that might be a case where it is indeed being modelled as the same work. I don't think this is ever done? But I'm not a cataloger.]

It's not an unreasonable thing to suggest, but it's not conventional practice. My main point is that it's not about which choice is closer to "reality" of whether two things are the same work or not. There kind of isn't a "reality" of that, there isn't an actual "work" we can go touch and open up and see. It's just about our modelling choices, and in order to share our data we need to do this somewhat consistently. It's totally fine to think it would be _better_ (more useful) if the convention were different -- just like you could disagree with what, say, AACR2 or other legacy cataloging practice dictated about when to use the same title authority record and when to make a different one. But if you want to be able to share your authority records and linked bibs cooperatively, you've got to try to make choices consistent with everyone else, even if you think a different choice would be more useful.