Not all libraries perceive the same needs as other libraries. If "the ILSs are
just waiting for RDA to be finalized before rolling out new iterations that can
take advantage of the relational properties" then why haven't they already
rolled out ILSs that feature "technology [which] already exists, as we can see
on the likes of Amazon"? For instance, where is the ILS software that routinely
suggests, after I type in "Minn," "Minnesota," or "Minnie Minoso," or "Minnie
Mouse" for that matter? (I sincerely hope that some listmembers have this
feature in their ILS or cataloging software, BTW, as it does seem like an
obvious imporvement). As I mentioned a few months ago, our head of IT cautioned
us that we might not want to get rid of 10-digit ISBN capabilities in our
systems because we still have customers whose ILSs can't handle the 13-digit
ISBNs.

ILS vendors have been slow to add a lot of features over the years. How many
years did it take before they stopped using stopwords and started reading
non-filer indicators?

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.