Jim Weinheimer wrote:

> As one of those veteran catalogers, I honestly do not see how the changes
in
> RDA have a lot of potential. Which changes do you have in mind? The
> abbreviations? The changes in the headings of the Bible? The lack of the
$b
> in titles?

The questions above indicate that the questioner is missing the point of RDA
entirely.  Abbreviations could be limited or eliminated entirely by a very
simple amendment to AACR2.  Likewise changes to Bible headings.  The "lack
of the $b in titles" seems to be talking about "other title information",
which is not really a change from AACR2 in that it is already optional at
the first level of description (1.0D1).

No, RDA is an entire reconceptualization of bibliographic metadata.  It is
the definition of discrete pieces of metadata, along with guidelines for
determining the values for such.  *These* are the changes that have a lot of
potential.  Changes that aren't going to be seen directly by users, but
instead are going to be seen (and used) by catalogers, systems
administrators, analysts, designers.  The changes that those "background"
people encounter are going to enable monumental changes in how users are
able to interface with the metadata.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.