From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of J. McRee Elrod
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:18 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Why RDA deals so poorly with equipment?

http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alcts/confevents/past/ala/annual/04/Tillett.pdf

In the fourth slide of this FRBR presentation, materials listed to be
catalogued include:

    What Are We Cataloging?

 Library collections
    - Books
    - Serials
    - Maps, globes, etc
    - Manuscripts.
    - Musical scores
    - A-V

 sound recordings

 motion pictures

 photographs, slides
    - Multimedia
    - "Remote" digital
    materials

Missing is equipment, e.g. electronic readers and players now being
acquired and circulated by libraries, whether with prerecorded
material, or as carriers for electronic resources available from the
library.  Perhaps "A-V" could be interpreted to include A-V equipment?
Is a Kindle or Kobo "A-V"?

Also missing is realia.

I'll admit it is difficult to see items of equipment and much realia
(apart from works of art) as intellectual or artistic works.  But we
do need to catalogue them.  Is this early (2004) omission related to
RDA's failure to address this growing body of library material?

Is it too late to include such material in the redrafted RDA?

"Computer" would need to change from being a media type (replaced by
ISBD's "electronic"?), becoming instead a carrier term under a new
media term "equipment", along with  readers, players, etc.  Many present
content terms would apply, but perhaps "computer program" shoud be added.