On 28/07/2011 17:42, Karen Coyle wrote:
<snip>
Each of these "parts" of the access point could (and probably should) be coded separately in the record. The question is whether they should *also* be included as an "access point." There are, however, no RDA or FRBR elements listed for "access points." If there were, I would assume that the entire string would be a single element:

<AccessPoint>Hamlet. French</AccessPoint>

or even

<AccessPoint>Shakespeare...etc. Hamlet. French</AccessPoint>
</snip>

In the best scenario, it seems this should be something like:
<AccessPoint>
<work>
<author>
<personalName>Shakespeare</personalName>
<dates>whatever</dates>
</author>
<titleInfo>
<originalTitle>Hamlet</originalTitle>
<dates>1599-1601</dates>  [from Wikipedia]
</titleInfo>
</work>
<expression>
<language>French</language>
</expression>
</AccessPoint>

while all data here would be represented by separate URIs in various ways. I made up all of the coding, by the way. Also, there could be different translations into French, so the translator's name (or printer or something) from the subfield s (if I am not mistaken) could be added as well to the <access point><expression> just as Shakespeare is added under the work. All this could be displayed and searched as a single element just as it is now.

I also added the date to the original work to make the people who have been discussing this possibility on the NGC4LIB list happy. I don't care for the idea and think it's a serious waste of time for precious little advantage, and importing it to an individual record such as is done here would not be very useful for a searcher, I don't believe, but nevertheless, if the information were in the work record, it can be imported. But, if it was seen as worthwhile, such information could be imported from another database that has that kind of information.

Also, I don't know how unclear dates should be handled.

--
James Weinheimer  weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com
First Thus: http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/