Am 03.08.2011 10:55, schrieb James Weinheimer:

There are definite advantages with this level of coding but on the negative side, it is more work, prone to many more errors, and is more difficult to train new people, especially as there will be the push to simplify.

I think these questions will begin to be asked (finally!), and answered too. This project from the British Library may be a great catalyst for the discussion.
The BL has teamed up with Talis to develop and improve their
open data activities. Here's more about that, together with a nice
diagram any cataloger might love to mount on their office wall:

  http://consulting.talis.com/2011/07/british-library-data-model-overview/

I understand that the current release is only a first step, and
together with Talis they will produce an improved version in the
near future.

B.Eversberg