James Weinheimer wrote:

> I keep repeating that ISO2709 is
> used for *transfer* of records and not storage. When I download a record
> from another library catalog, it compiles the ISO2709 on the fly. My catalog
> then parses and reworks it for the structures of my catalog, probably
> something completely different from the remote catalog. At this point, the
> ISO2709 format vanishes, and if somebody later wants to download the
> record from my catalog, my catalog recompiles the ISO2709 record along with
> any updates I have made and sends it to the other catalog, etc. etc. This
> works *only* in library catalogs. Therefore, ISO2709/MARC21 is a standard
> for library record *communication* and not for library catalog storage.

While you keep repeating it, that doesn't necessarily make it so.  As I have
written several times now, the Ex Libris Voyager system most certainly DOES
store records essentially in the ISO2709 format.  Whether or not that is a good
thing, I'm not going to comment on.  But I just want to point out that what you
are asserting is most definitely untrue.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library