In looking at examples in RDA, it's clear that the number of units for each
type of carrier, not the presence or absence of a container, is what determines
if the manifestation is a single unit or a multipart monograph (or a kit).

>From RDA 1.5.2:
a) a resource issued as a single unit (e.g., a single audio disc, a PDF
document)
b) a multipart monograph (e.g., three videocassettes issued as a set, a kit
consisting of a digital videodisc, a model, and an instruction booklet)

So it doesn't matter if a set of 3 DVDs come in separate jewel cases, a single
jewel case, a box or sleeve of some sort-- we measure 3 separate UNITs for the
carrier in the Extent, not the containers of "3 boxes" or "3 jewel cases" or "1
box" or "1 jewel case". If the container is important, there are options to
include it as part of the Dimensions (example at 3.1.4.20), but generally the
container is not a determining factor declaring something a single unit or a
kit. The container, though, is important for determining a chief source of
information for the title, especially if it's a kit.

It seems that the special kinds of objects with all the different kinds of
material pieces can be handled quite well by using subunits in RDA.

There are numerous examples in RDA where objects, such as games, can have
subunits, as in 3.4.6.3:
Extent: 1 game (1 board, 50 cards, 5 role cards, 2 dice)

That's a single unit as far as RDA goes (and one carrier: "object"), even with
all these constituent subunits, but I think we're in multipart monograph
territory again with this example:

Extent: 2 games (various pieces)

as well as in cases where there are multiple heterogeneous carriers (designated
with the phrase "various pieces"), but only one predominant carrier type (RDA
3.1.4.3):

Carrier: sheet
Extent: 43 various pieces
Dimensions: box 20 x 12 x 6 cm

Even with one container, there are multiple units (most, but not all, of them
of the carrier type "sheet"), and so this is a multipart monograph with the 43
units for the different carriers. The collective title may very well have been
on the box in this case, as the container does have an impact in the choice for
chief source of information but not on the factors relating to carrier and
extent.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library