Dear All,

Mac and I have been batting this issue back and forth for awhile now on the
OLAC list. These are often "kits" (in layman's terms) with pieces that you
put together ... and the point is for the children to learn something with
most of them. (We buy tons of these "kits" for my Teacher Resource Center
that has lots of curriculum materials with educational manipulatives.)  I
often find myself in a grey area, as I have tried to choose a GMD for these
materials, none of them fitting quite perfectly.

I am hoping that RDA will somehow be make these "kits" better to discern for
both the cataloger and the user.

The AACR2 1.1C1 terms that we have available for GMDs (from List 2) for
these materials include:

*Kit*
 1. An item containing *two or more categories of material, no one of which
is identifiable as the predominant constituent of the item* [emphasis mine];
also designated “multimedia
item<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2MultimediaSPACEitemSLASHglossary&hash=MultimediaSPACEitemSLASHglossary>”
(q.v.).  2. A single-medium package of textual material (e.g., a “press
kit,” a set of printed test materials, an assemblage of printed materials
published under the name “Jackdaw”). See also Activity
card<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2ActivitySPACEcardSLASHglossary&hash=ActivitySPACEcardSLASHglossary>,
Game<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2GameSLASHglossary&hash=GameSLASHglossary>
.

*Game*
 An item or set of materials designed for play according to prescribed or
implicit rules and intended for recreation or instruction. See also Activity
card<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2ActivitySPACEcardSLASHglossary&hash=ActivitySPACEcardSLASHglossary>,
Kit<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2KitSLASHglossary&hash=KitSLASHglossary>,
Toy<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2ToySLASHglossary&hash=ToySLASHglossary>
.

*Toy*
 An object designed for imaginative play or one from which to derive
amusement. See also
Game<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2GameSLASHglossary&hash=GameSLASHglossary>,
Model<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2ModelSLASHglossary&hash=ModelSLASHglossary>,
Realia<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2RealiaSLASHglossary&hash=RealiaSLASHglossary>
.
   *
*
*Model*
 A three-dimensional representation of a real thing. See also
Toy<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2ToySLASHglossary&hash=ToySLASHglossary>
.

*Realia*
 An artefact or a naturally occurring entity, as opposed to a replica. See
also
Object<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2ObjectSLASHglossary&hash=ObjectSLASHglossary>,
Toy<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Aacr2ToySLASHglossary&hash=ToySLASHglossary>
.

It might help to illustrate my challenges with some of the actual materials
that I have cataloged over the months ... most of these materials require
assembly. With some of them, it is in the assembling that the learning takes
place.

1. Title: Basic electricity & electronics educational program : model
SC-100R, Snap Circuits.
(I ended up using [realia].)
http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Circuits-Model-SC-100R-experiments/dp/B0017Y7IDA/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1315515644&sr=1-1

2. Title: K'Nex education.Middle school math.
(I ended up using [realia].)
http://www.amazon.com/KNEX-Education-Middle-School-Math/dp/B003MGJTJW/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1315515770&sr=1-1

3. Title: Static electricity supply set.
(I ended up using [realia].)
http://www.delta-education.com/productdetail.aspx?Collection=N&prodID=1803&menuID=

4. Title: Motorized solar system and planetarium.
(I ended up using [model] on this one.)
http://www.educationalinsights.com/product/teachers/theme/space+--38-+weather/solar+system/geosafari-reg-+motorized+solar+system.do?search=basic&keyword=motorized+solar+system&sortby=bestSellers&page=1&;

5. Title: Planet walk
(I ended up using [model] for this as well. Can be set up on a football
field.)
http://www.etacuisenaire.com/catalog/product?deptId=&prodId=77662&q=planet+walk

6. Title: Giant magnetic solar system
(I ended up cataloging this as a [picture] -- rather hesitantly because the
magnets do have a 3rd dimension to them.)
http://www.gwschoolcatalog.com/giant_magnetic_solar_system_set_of_12-p-1539575.html

7. Title: Inertia crash dummies
(I ended up cataloging this just today as [realia].)
I have on my desk a box of wooden boards, stoppers, bottle caps, ping-pong
balls, blocks of wood (for the cars), wheel axels, wheels. Somehow, the user
is supposed to assemble these things, in order to have cars (with dummies --
the ping pong balls) and barriers. The kit is supposed to teach students
about the law of inertia. Students are to gather data and graph it, as well
-- with other the additional materials needed: knife, markers, glue,
stopwatches, meter sticks, masking tape.
http://sciencekit.com/inertia-crash-dummies-teacher-developed,-classroom-tested/p/IG0046731/

8. A rather notorious theoretical OLAC-L question that I posed on a Friday
afternoon awhile back was: If I had a tin of buttons (I am thinking of my
grandma's old tin of a variety of buttons), would this be considered
[realia] since there is only one *category* of material? Or would it be
considered a [kit] since there is more than one type of button in the box?
... or if you added other sewing supplies such as a tape measure, pin
cushion, pins, and needles, then does it become a kit?

At any rate, you get the picture. These types of materials have been
difficult at best to nail down with the terms from List 2 in AACR2 1.1C1.

Will there be more clarity in RDA?

Best wishes,
Julie

--
Julie Renee Moore
Catalog Librarian

"In the end only kindness matters." -- Jewel