Karen quoted Julia:

> I am not wed to "kit" as a term. If people think "set" ...

Too me, "set"in the library context means a multivolume monograph,
as in a set of encyclopedias.

And then asked:

>Would you use the GMD "kit" if the title of the thing already had
>"kit" in it?

Yes.  Such redundancy is not uncommon in other genre as well.  It's
uncontrolled and controlled vocabulary; one can not replace the other.

>Is there a related subject heading or genre that would
>help people search for such an item

No.  We should have a 655 for kits.  But that would not replace the
need for the GMD type of early warning, as we have both
245$h[electronic text] and 655  - $aElectronic books, both 245$h
[videorecording] and 655  7 $aFeature films.$2lcgft.

> Do any systems index the $h as a  sort of genre?

Yes.  I like a genre index combining 655, 6XX$v, and 245$h.  But music
cataloguers continuing to put genre terms in 650 causes a lot of
needed headings to be missed.