I sent this as a response on OLAC-L, please excuse the cross-posting.

Dear Kelley,

When you wrote: "What Julie seems to be looking for is some way to give
users an early warning of what they're going to get, especially if they're
not expecting to find non-book objects in the library catalog" you were
absolutely correct!

In regular English, no, I would not call this either kit or realia ... so I
am sure that our patrons would not call it that, either.

As you all well know, I am not crazy about the term "kit".

I am even less satisfied with the term "realia". (Even the OCLC
spellchecker doesn't like realia!)

But even more than my dissatisfaction with the terms "kit" and "realia",  I
do not want my catalog to go without an early warning that this thing is a
non-book, 3D object!

The term I would pick would probably be "object" ...  or "box of stuff "
... but in RDA/MARC, "object" does not come until later on in the record.

Yes, the GMD is problematic. You do not have to convince me of that. I'd
love to see us get around the GMD ... but right now in 2011, the majority
of us are still using AACR2 and MARC to catalog. In looking to the future
with RDA/MARC, it is a huge concern to me to drop the GMD and have the
336-338 fields (which are not even meant to be displayed) as the GMD
replacement.

Unfortunately, the icons do not convey enough to let me know what's coming.
If they are meaningless to me, I am sure they are meaningless to the
patron.

As an aside, one of the things that I particularly enjoy about
amazon.comand the other distributor's websites is the use of pictures,
which I see
are in place in your examples from the BSU catalog. We have book jackets,
but no photos of these 3D objects. I think that the photos go a long way in
explaining to the patron what this record represents and what to expect.
Even when I have written to OLAC-L, I have often included a url to the
photograph of the object -- or box of stuff, so that people can get a
better idea of what it is that I am trying to explain. I would like for our
catalogs to make better use of pictures of the actual object to give the
patron more information. Even better, in Amazon.com, if you do a search for
"wasted away", you get this long hit list (8,312 results -- so terribly
unhelpful) .... but two things that I will give Amazon.com credit for is
that they have both a photo and short descriptor, so you know whether you
are looking at a paperback, a hardback, or sheet music, for example. Once
you have figured out what you probably are looking for, you can click on
the brief display to go into the full record display. (Unfortunately, my
mannequin is not on Amazon.com.)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=clogs&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wasted+away&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awasted+away

Happy Cataloging!
Julie