All:

I keep hearing a couple of threads in this conversation that I think need
further examination. The first is that there needs to be 'agreement' on how
to handle these situations, before anyone can do anything. This implies
that we need to retain the notion that it's critically important that we
minimize the impact of those who stray from the 'true path' because they
make our jobs harder.  I really think this idea needs to hit the dumpster
now, if not yesterday. If we're entering a world where the FRBR model is
used to help us link together information at a number of levels of
description, it seems to me that we all benefit from those who add
important detail to the shared environment. That old straightjacket
'granularity consensus' is one of the things that marginalize us in the
world where the old boundaries around what we do and don't do gets in our
way.

I should also point out that the DCMI/RDA Task Group built a number of
cataloger scenarios, including one that included a festschrift (
http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Cataloger_Scenarios#Scenario_2:_A_collected_work).
 The TG name has been changed to the DCMI Bibliographic Metadata Task
Group, but the wiki data from the old group has been moved (is in the
process of being moved anyway, but the Cataloger Scenarios are all moved).
 I'd be happy to entertain discussion on whether or not this scenario makes
sense (leaving aside the question of whether anyone will do it), but
suggest that maybe a new subject line would make sense.

As for a use case for this, I was thinking about the VIVO project (
http://vivo.cornell.edu), which is building information about researchers
and their work, based primarily on needs at the institution level. I know
they've been gathering citations of researcher's 'product' to be able to
associate them with the relevant researchers, and this effort includes
things like articles, books, and book chapters.  Two of those categories
are not things we've traditionally considered as within our attention, but
why not?  If this project is gathering information from library catalogs
and other sources and aggregating them with the 'authors', why are we not
looking to this information as grist for our mill as well? In addition to
the data, as I recall the projects were using some very innovative methods
to gather the information they needed.  I wrote a blog post about one of
those methods a few years ago:
http://managemetadata.org/blog/2009/03/23/making-connections/.

I guess to me the question of whether FRBR is the be-all and end-all of
models, whether it requires tweaking, extension or whatever, ultimately
can't be determined unless we look beyond our current practices and start
trying things out. I think that the 'cataloger scenarios' are a nice tool
for thinking about those issues, because they force us to think through the
whole process for a specific kind of item, which helps to surface the
issues more usefully than a more abstract discussion might.

Diane