There is an alternative instruction for Carrier Type (RDA 3.3) where only the
carrier type for the predominant part or most substantial parts of the resource
need be recorded. But the main instruction is to "record as many terms as are
applicable to the resource being described."

If a different carrier type is accounted for in 300 $e or additional 300's, I
would apply a corresponding 338 carrier type value.

Normally, there should also be corresponding 006/007 values for accompanying
material, but these can cause problems in the system I use. The system picks
out fixed field values to generate icons, and it gets confused when there are
multiple 006 and 007 fields to choose from.

There is a very strong bias in MARC (with the Leader and 008 fields, and 300$a
for example) to declaring a primary material. Some MARC implementations require
deleting values for accompanying materials to work properly. The direction in
RDA seems more agnostic when confronted with multiple carriers (except for the
alternative option in RDA 3.3 where predominant carrier can be picked).

The way things seem to shaping up is to continue to use MARC conventions to
pick a predominant part, but to use 336/337/338 to capture the range of
characteristics in the resource. Longer term I would like to see a new encoding
structure that offers more flexibility in establishing a composite icons (or
set of icons) that represent a resource (is it a book with a CD inside, or is
it a booklet and a CD together in a bag?), as well as a grouping of related
carrier details as found in a 007 field to draw upon to create more precise
icons (is it a videodisc, or more pertinently a Blu-Ray disc?).

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library