From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of JOHN C ATTIG
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 11:19 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] TMI in RDA NAF?

Most of what you note appears in the Biographical Information element (MARC
678).  Frankly, I think that users will find such information very helpful in
understanding the identity of the person concerned.  And the keywords in the
note provide useful gateways for discovery.

I agree that there needs to be more discussion -- and application of judgment
-- in deciding what fields of activity or what affiliations (for example) are
worth recording. I noted this in our RDA in NACO training (which seemed to take
a rather inclusive approach).  As long as we are recording and maintaining this
information manually, I would like to see some restraint exercised.

However, I do see this expansion of the content and functions of authority
records as only the first step.  One of the nice things about linked data is
that it is so easy to co-opt other people's work into your data.  If not People
magazine, there are other institutions out there, like the New York Times, who
regularly record such information about persons and who have a business case
for keeping it current.  We need to be able to link out to that sort of data
and use it to construct informative gateway displays for our users.

          John Attig
          Authority Control Librarian
          Penn State University
          jx...@psu.edu