From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:45 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: [RDA-L] Carrier type "Flipchart"

In our regional cataloging experts group, we were dicussing RDA carrier types
yesterday.

We were completely mystified why flip charts warrant a carrier type of their
own ("flipchart"). We found it very hard to imagine any library or other
institution collecting flip charts, in the first place. Stretching our
imagination, we could picture a collection of paper sheets which had before
been used on a flip chart - but these should then simply get the data carrier
"sheet", shouldn't they? And if a library really wanted to collect the flip
charts themselves (for us, that would mean whiteboards on an easel) - wouldn't
that fall under "object"?

I assume that there is a simple solution to this puzzle. Probably it's just
some sort of misunderstanding, either due to language or cultural differences.
So I wonder: What exactly is meant by "flipchart" in this respect, and how are
flip charts used in Angloamerican countries?

The flip charts we were thinking of look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_chart
We use the term for the whole device, i.e. the easel and the whiteboard with
its mechanism for holding paper sheets. The RDA glossary defines flipchart as
"hinging device holding two or more sheets designed for use on an easel", which
is perhaps not exactly the same.

Thanks for your help.

Heidrun

--