Many thanks to Benjamin, John and Daniel for the explanation. I've never come across something like this in Germany, and will have to find out whether there is a special German term for it (as the word "Flipchart" in German is really only used for the easel and whiteboard).

It still bothers me a bit to have an unmediated carrier type for something as specialized as this (especially if you compare it with the huge range of "object").

By the way, this got me wondering about wall calendars (the typical ones with one image per month). They often have a spiral binding, which makes them very similar in form to those classroom flipcharts. Only they are not "designed for use on an easel", as the RDA glossary says, but for hanging on a wall. So I assume "flipchart" wouldn't be suitable, and you'd have to use "volume" instead (RDA glossary: "One or more sheets bound or fastened together to form a single unit").

It's really amazing how complicated assigning carrier types can get... One should think that at least the unmediated carrier types would be straightforward.

Heidrun

On 30.01.2013 22:06, Benjamin A Abrahamse wrote
I think it refers to a type of childrens' (or educational) resource that is
published and intended to be used in the classroom.

E.g.:
http://www.staples.com/Calendar-Time-Sing-Along-Flip-Chart-and-CD/product_753900?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:753900&KPID=753900

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries