What you're most likely to see are:

$w nne [used for former established heading; valid code in both AACR2 and RDA]

$w nna  [used for pre-AACR2 heading that is valid as an AACR2 reference]

$w nnaa [used for pre-AACR2 heading not valid as an AACR2 reference, so shouldn't be displayed]

$w nnea [used for former valid AACR2 heading not valid as an RDA reference, so shouldn't be displayed; this was also used in AACR2 when Wade-Giles was converted to pinyin - the Wade-Giles established form was made a reference]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries