Ian Fairclough <ifairclough43...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I found this as a pagination statement:
>
> [xvii], 219 pages
>
> The source has no initial sequence with roman numerals.  I have not found
> instructions for use of brackets with supplied page numbering.  Nor does
> the bibliographic record refer elsewhere to unnumbered preliminary pages.
> Please tell: is use of a supplied and bracketed-in sequence such as this
> covered in any RDA documentation?  I'd expect it to be found here:
>
> 3.4.5.3.1 Numbered and Unnumbered Sequences

That's as close as you'll get.  The instructions are like AACR2 2.5B3 as
far as "justifying" the pagination goes.  I've seen these kinds of supplied
preliminary pagings under AACR2 and expect to see them under RDA, despite
the lack of direction on this point.  It could be local practice.

Or maybe someone's interpreting the "substantial" in both rules
as qualitative in addition to or rather than quantitative.

Regardless, I think supplying preliminary paging to a record is worth
doing, at least on occasion, as it gives folks an idea that something's
happening at the beginning of the book.

As far as bracket use goes, RDA avoids them here as outlined under the same
instructions.

--
Mark K. Ehlert
Minitex