On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:49:26 -0500, M. E. <m.k.e.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ian Fairclough <ifairclough43...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I found this as a pagination statement:
>>
>> [xvii], 219 pages
>>
>> The source has no initial sequence with roman numerals.  I have not found
>> instructions for use of brackets with supplied page numbering.  Nor does
>> the bibliographic record refer elsewhere to unnumbered preliminary pages.
>> Please tell: is use of a supplied and bracketed-in sequence such as this
>> covered in any RDA documentation?  I'd expect it to be found here:
>>
>> 3.4.5.3.1 Numbered and Unnumbered Sequences
>>

>That's as close as you'll get.  The instructions are like AACR2 2.5B3 as
>far as "justifying" the pagination goes.  I've seen these kinds of supplied
>preliminary pagings under AACR2 and expect to see them under RDA, despite
>the lack of direction on this point.  It could be local practice.
>
>Or maybe someone's interpreting the "substantial" in both rules
>as qualitative in addition to or rather than quantitative.
>
>Regardless, I think supplying preliminary paging to a record is worth
>doing, at least on occasion, as it gives folks an idea that something's
>happening at the beginning of the book.
>
>As far as bracket use goes, RDA avoids them here as outlined under the same
>instructions.
>
>--
>Mark K. Ehlert
>Minitex
><http://www.minitex.umn.edu/>

It's OK to supply an unnumbered preliminary sequence if cataloger's judgment
deems it advisable. But bracketing in the number of pages in Roman numerals
when the source does not use them was never correct, not under AACR 2 and not
under RDA, which specifies (that 3.4.5.3.1 cited above):

"When recording a sequence of unnumbered pages, etc., record:
"either
"a) the exact number (if the number is readily ascertainable) followed by
unnumbered pages, etc.
"or
"b) an estimated number preceded by approximately
"or
"c) unnumbered sequence of pages, etc."

Nothing about brackets and nothing about using Roman numerals. If you want to
record a sequence of seventeen unnumbered preliminary pages, and you want to
record the exact number of pages in the sequence, the way to do it under RDA is:

17 unnumbered pages

AACR 2 specified using square brackets in such cases. RDA, under the assumption
that no one understands that convention, specifies the unwieldy circumlocution
"unnumbered pages." But neither code suggests, in any detail, that one should
use roman instead of arabic numerals, if they are not present in the resource.

Both AACR 2 and RDA include an example of a preliminary sequence recorded as
arabic numerals. AACR 2 has the sequence in square brackets, RDA has it as "8
unnumbered pages" (it's at the very end of 3.4.5.3.1):

"8 unnumbered pages, 155 pages"

Kathie Coblentz, Rare Materials Cataloger
Collections Strategy/Special Formats Processing
The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
5th Avenue and 42nd Street
New York, NY  10018
kathiecoble...@nypl.org

My opinions, not NYPL's