John Hostage wrote:

The ISBD consolidated edition defines it as "other title information introducing the title proper, and occurring above the title proper on the prescribed source of information for the title and statement of responsibility area." Sounds sort of like "Evaluation of pilot project" in the other thread.

I just checked the ISBD consolidated, hoping for an example of an "avant-titre", but couldn't find anything. It seems the term only appears in the glossary (which I find rather odd).

In the preliminary German translation of RDA, "avant-titre" was translated as "Schmutztitel", which in turn corresponds to "half-title" in English. This meaning of "avant-titre" can be also found in French dictionaries, e.g. here on the web:
http://www.dictionarist.com/avant-titre
But that, of course, doesn't fit in with the ISBD glossary.

Fortunately, I found something helpful in the French cataloging rules (Catalogage des monographies - texte imprimé, FD Z 44-050, 1.4.4.4):

-----------

Un avant-titre apparaissant sur la page de titre ou son substitut est donné après le titre propre s'il n'y a pas d'impossibilité grammaticale ou de sens ; sinon, il est donné en note.

EXEMPLES

L'art des nomades [Texte imprimé] : des Scythes aux Hongrois

Je roule sans accident! [Texte imprimé]
_En note_:  Avant-titre : "un professionel de l'auto vous dit..."
_Commentaire_: L'avant-titre apparaît en petits caractères au-dessus du titre propre.

----------

If I understand this correctly (my French being much worse than my English), the "des Scythes aux Hongrois" in the first example actually appears above the "L'art des nomades" on the t.p., but is transcribed as other title information. As French cataloging is extremely close to ISBD, this transposition must indeed be allowed by ISBD.

Well, it's always nice to learn something new in cataloging :-)

So, it seems that it's really possible according to ISBD (and also according to RDA) to transcribe "things, which look like other title information but come before what looks like the title proper" as other title information, i.e. reverse the order.

Although I still don't really feel comfortable with it, I now concede that "evaluation of pilot project" can be seen as an "avant-titre", so that Cathy's example can perfectly well be given as: 245 _0 $a Emergency traffic control for responders : $b evaluation of pilot project

A note on title would be in order here, as already suggested by Mac.

But as the whole thing is certainly not obvious, there really should be an example illustrating it in RDA. Also, there could sometimes be problems in distinguishing an avant-titre from "introductory words" (RDA 2.3.1.6). The "un professionel de l'auto vous dit..." in the second French example could perhaps equally well be interpreted as introductory words.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.