Michael Borries <michael.borr...@mail.cuny.edu> wrote:

>  A quick question.  RDA 2.5.2.2 states that the sources of information
> for an edition statement are:****
>
> ** **
>
> 1. the same source as the title proper****
>
> ** **
>
> 2. another source within the resource itself****
>
> ** **
>
> 3. one of the other sources of information specified under 2.2.4****
>
> ** **
>
> Under 2.2.4 we find that the sources of information for identifying
> manifestations and items includes “any other available source (e.g., a
> reference source).”****
>
> ** **
>
> So, between these two instructions, am I allowed to supply an edition
> statement if there is none in the resource itself, as was allowed under
> AACR2 1.2B4?  Or should I instead give the information in a note?

Is this a "Can I make up an edition statement" question?  By my reading,
no.  I don't think "any other available source" includes the
cataloger's brain.  To get around this stricture--and toeing the RDA
line--I'd give the information in a note.

On the other hand, jump the gun and apply the future optional addition to
2.5.1.4--I won't tell anybody:
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-ALA-10-Sec-final.pdf

--
Mark K. Ehlert