Hi Peter,

Let me make a partial response to your questions speaking here as the current chair of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging. We have had two Task Force reports related to this issue. The first is the Report of the PCC Post-Implementation Hybrid Bibliographic Records Guidelines Task Force, and the second is the PCC Relationship Designator Guidelines Task Group Report.

To your first question, yes, it is both acceptable and to be encouraged. The more of these that we can add to our headings, the more useful they will be to our users. The Guidelines from the Hybrid Record task group report should be issued imminently.

The second question is much more complex, contrasting the benefits of adding new vs. converting old (when possible). The PCC membership has been able to comment on this and other topics in the open comment period for Relationship Designator report. The Policy Committee of the PCC will be discussing the report soon and we hope to have some recommendations out in April. But as always, the discussion on RDA-L are extremely useful. I look forward to hearing what people have to say.

Philip