I notice with the flood of Phase 2 authority records that there are a
number of preferred access points (used to be uniform titles) of the form
Works. Selections. English. date, where the date does not conform to the
date in my catalog for the particular item (embodying a work).

I have been wondering how to handle these.

1.
240  Works Selections English 1993
245  Antonio Gramsci : pre-prison writings
260  |c1994
where the 240 matches the authority record

or
2.
240  Works. Selections. English. 1994
245  Antonio Gramsci : pre-prison writings
260  |c1994
where I have to create a new authority record (yuck) or edit the one sent
from LC/NACO (yucker) or just leave the mismatch as it is (yuckest)

I have seen enough dates in authority records that came from CIP or eCIP
and are not accurate when compared to the piece in hand to have very little
doubt where the root of the problem is.
The long term solution is to change over to unchanging numeric identifiers
with varying forms of display (as we all know), but before we reach
Nirvana, what do we do?

Any thoughts?

--
Adger Williams