RDA-L readers,

Thanks to Adam Schiff for his correction.  All is now clear - perhaps.  Once
again, I feel like I've been booby-trapped.  Like many aspects of contemporary
cataloging, mine was an error just waiting to happen.

DCM Z1 370 has: "Use the established form of the geographic place name as found
in the LC/NAF, with the same adjustments as when using the place name as a
parenthetical qualifier to names."  (Note: The phrase "parenthetical qualifier"
retrieves no results when used in
 the RDA Quick Search box.)

9.11.1.3 Recording Places of Residence has "Record
 the place or places (town, city, province, state, and/or country) in
which the person resides or has resided. Record the place name as
instructed in chapter 16. Abbreviate the names of countries, states,
provinces, territories, etc., as instructed in appendix B (B.11), as
applicable."

And yes, there in B.11, "Victoria" is abbreviated
"Vic."  One can be quite clear about this, provided you've read and understood
the
instructions at the head:

Use the abbreviations in table B.1 for the names of certain countries and for
the names of states,
provinces, territories, etc., of Australia, Canada, and the United
States when the names are recorded:
a) as part of the name of a place located in that state, province, territory,
etc. (see 16.2.2.9) or other jurisdiction (see 16.2.2.11)
b) as the name or part of the name of a place associated with a person (see
9.8–9.11) family (see 10.5), or corporate body (see 11.3).
Do not abbreviate the name of a city or town even if it has the same name as a
state, etc., listed in table B.1 (e.g., Washington, D.C. not Wash., D.C.). Do
not abbreviate any place name that is not in the list.
In my opinion this is AACR2 "legacy" thinking, and it's time
to get rid of these abbreviations.  If you must spell out approximately,
 when approx. and c. are in common usage in the English-speaking world, then
abbreviating as "Vic." for the supposed benefit of people some of
whom won't even know it's an Australian state is not helpful.  Good luck with
compliance on this one.

Is there now a chorus of "Yes, we know!" and "We'll change those instructions
as soon as we can!"?

- Ian P.S. I changed "Victoria" to "Vic." in the draft NAR awaiting review.
But I'm tempted to change it back :-)

Ian Fairclough - George Mason University - ifairclough43...@yahoo.com