I tend to agree with approach of recording both years.  We didn't create the
conundrum.

I agree with Adam that there's a high probability that  "Two, five, ten years
from now, that book is going to be seen in the scholarly community as from
2014, not from 2013." (if cited at all, of course).  But again, that's not an
issue we created and likely not to be a stumper to future scholarship in the
field if we record both dates.  However, by recording the dates we do help
catalogers handling the book/resource and adding it to their collections.

Daniel

--
Daniel CannCasciato
Head of Cataloging

"Wearing the sensible shoes proudly since 1977!"