On 3/28/2013 8:07 AM, Will Evans <ev...@bostonathenaeum.org> wrote:

> Rules or no rules, shouldn't the record reflect the reality of the
> situation?!
>
> 264#1 $c [2013]
> 264#4 $c (c) 2014
>

> 500 Publication received by cataloging agency in 2013. $ MBAt

I'm puzzled by this approach, which seems to second-guess the
publisher's intent. Unless there's something we haven't been told, I
don't get the idea that the resource itself makes any statement about
having been published in 2013. If a cataloger first encountered this
item in 2014+, they'd have no reason to believe it was published in
anything other than 2014, because that's the date printed on the thing
itself, yes?

(I know there are reverse cases where a later ed. such as trade pbk.
does not actually state its publication date and simply retains the
copyright of the first hc ed., resulting in situations like [2002],
c2001 in AACR2. But in that case other information supports the choice
of supplied date, I think.)

Rare books might be different, and I am no RDA guru, but my feeling
would be to go with what Deborah recommended.

--
Lisa Hatt
Cataloging