From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 12:39 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Relationships and comic books/graphic novels

Ben,

You get me confused here.

I'm not an expert on this kind of material, but I would have thought that e.g.
for the early Asterix books both Albert Uderzo and René Goscinny are to be seen
as creators in the sense of RDA 19.2: "Persons, families, or corporate bodies
jointly responsible for the creation of a work (...) may perform different
roles (e.g., as in a collaboration between a composer and a lyricist)." In a
joint effort, one of them provided the pictures, the other the text. I think
this corresponds to 21.24 "Collaboration between artist and writer" in AACR2.

But then the relationship designator "illustrator" seems to be not applicable
for somebody like Uderzo, because it is for a contributor, not for a creator.
This also fits in with the definition of illustrator as somebody "supplementing
the primary content with drawings, diagrams, photographs, etc." So, this seems
to be about the cases which used to be covered in AACR2 21.11A1.

I conclude that the only possible relationship designator for Uderzo listed in
the Appendix would be "artist".

This is really rather crude. I also wonder about the relationship designator
for somebody like Goscinny. The only possible term from the Appendix seems to
be "author", but the explanation doesn't really fit: A person etc. "responsible
for creating a work that is primarily textual in content". Well, the Asterix
books are certainly not "primarily textual in content".

Heidrun