Kevin Randall said:

>But "usually" can still mean a significant number of exceptions.

Yes, but as you indicate further on, at least country can usually be
guessed.  For example, there are enough differences in American,
British, Canadian, and Australian language usage to provide clues.  A
bibliography can often suggest a time frame for publication - after
the last title cited.  Events referenced can also help with time of
writing.  You at least know it was not written after the date of
acquisition, which is more than a patron would know.

>I'm not sure what else would be better in the 264 $b, when there is
>absolutely nothing to be found in the resource in hand.

My vote goes to "[s.n.]".  Short and sample, and does not need to be
changed for differing languages of the catalogue.

I hope European libraries will continue ISBD inclusions.