From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Jack Wu
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:02 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] cm period/no period and sample records

If I'm not mistaken, this's the fullest explanation yet on the weighty matter
of . / no .  which have perplexed so many catalogers so much for so long.  Were
it not for this unsettled . , I can almost say I'm ready to create a reasonably
error free RDA.  But alas, use or nonuse of the . at end of the 300 field stops
me in my tracks. It has certainly been instructive, fun, and frustrating to be
dancing about the . without ever come to the . , or resolve it.

There is a . at the end of cm. ever since invention of centimeter, meter and
their abbreviations, well before any rules of cataloging. The end of field .
and end of abbreviation . coexisted in blissful ambiguity in the bibliographic
world without controversy or disadvantage for how long?  I'm only afraid  we
may just have missed the point when the controversy of . or no . is nowhere at
an end and we'll soon be at a . of no return. I just think it easier and
worthwhile for RDA to continue the . and resolve our singular . , .., no .
confusion if for no other reason than to please the vast crowd of
non-catalogers that we serve.

Jack

Jack Wu
Franciscan University of Steubenville
j...@franciscan.edu<mailto:j...@franciscan.edu>

Jack

>>> Kevin M Randall <k...@northwestern.edu<mailto:k...@northwestern.edu>>
>>> 4/24/2013 11:15 AM >>>

[from a message I sent to Autocat a couple of weeks ago]

The instruction on when or when not to use a period at the end of field 300 is
based on an out-of-date version of the ISBD.  The punctuation conventions have
changed SIGNIFICANTLY:

            - Every area is preceded by a point, space, dash, space, UNLESS an
area starts a new paragraph, IN WHICH CASE a point is given at the end of the
preceding area.

            - When an element ends with a point (i.e., the point is part of the
data, such as the abbreviation "ed.") the entire ISBD punctuation is still
given; that is, it's still point, space, dash, space, not just space, dash
space.  Example:  ". -- 3rd ed.. --" and not ". -- 3rd ed. --"

So, when the LC-PCC PS says that we should give no period at the end of 300 if
there is no 490, or to give a period if there *is* a 490, it is making the
following assumptions:

            1) The record is going to be displayed in an ISBD format that
starts a new paragraph with Area 7.

            2) The record is going to be using the old ISBD standard, that did
not call for a point at the end of a paragraph.

            3) The display program knows how to supply the space, dash, space,
but doesn't know how to supply the point.

If we're going to follow the *current* ISBD, then we need to know whether the
display program is going to supply all, some, or none of the prescribed ISBD
punctuation.  If it's going to supply all, then we should only give punctuation
that is part of the data (e.g., a period that is part of an abbreviation, not
part of ISBD prescribed punctuation).  If it's going to supply some (the space,
dash, space), then we should ALWAYS end every field ISBD-displayable field with
a period, or TWO periods if the last element happens to be an abbreviation
(except for the last field going into the ISBD display--and good luck figuring
out which one, since it's probably somewhere in the 0XX block).  If it's going
to supply none, then in addition to the period, we also need to put the space,
dash, space at the end of every field (with the exception of the final field,
or every field that ends a paragraph--and again, good luck getting those right).

[end of quoted text from Autocat message]

In sum, the relationship between ISBD and MARC has always been a bit wonky.  I
don't think there is any way that we can code data in MARC records so a
"perfect" ISBD display can be generated, at least with today's OPACs.  Just one
more reason I hope an RDA-element-friendly metadata structure comes our way
sooner rather than later...

Kevin M. Randall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Northwestern University Library